Natives of Madison and Tompkins counties, N. Y., where the ancestors of their respective families settled at a very early period of the country’s history. John W. Fallass came to Michigan when a young man in 1837 and located at what has since been known as Fallassburg, Kent county, where he built a mill and early began the manufacture of lumber and flour. Going back to his native state in 1842 he there married, and with his bride returned to the county of Kent, and until the year 1875 continued to operate his mill. In that year he disposed of his mill to his sons and turned his attention to his farm, which he cultivated until his death, November 5, 1896.His wife
– Biographical Sketches, A. W. Bowen’s 1900, History of Grand Rapids and Kent County
John Wesley Fallass was born in 1812 at Nelson, NY where his parents, William and Hannah (Stone) Fallas had lived since leaving Massachusetts in 1804. After spending his childhood at Dryden, NY, he moved to Michigan in 1837 and the rest of the family followed. In 1837, John Wesley Fallass (called Wesley) came with his brother Silas to West Michigan from Tompkins County, New York. In 1841, John went back to NY to marry Phoebe Brown. After the couple’s return to Fallasburg, they had two sons, Henry B. and Charles Wesley Fallas. John and his wife lived in this house until their death in 1896 and 1891 respectively.Henry Brown Fallass
Born on the old homestead in Fallassburg, Kent county, on the 13thy day of May, 1846. His youthful years were spent under the parental roof, and the public school of the neighborhood furnished the means of a common English education, which was afterward supplemented by a commercial course in the Bryant & Stratton Business college, Detroit. Until his eighteenth year he assisted his father in the mill, and from that time until twenty-two he was engaged in teaching in the common schools of Kent county. His reputation in the educational field brought him into prominent notice, so much so, in fact, that in the year 1868 he was elected superintendent of the Kent county public schools, a position which he filled two terms. In the meantime he began the study of law, and after the expiration of his official term entered the office of Hughes, O’Brien & Smiley, Grand Rapids, where he pursued his reading one year, and during the succeeding year received instruction from Judge Holmes. The further to increase his legal knowledge, Mr. Fallass entered the law department of the university of Michigan, from which he was graduated in 1875 and immediately thereafter was admitted to the bar and became associated in the practice with C. H. Gleason, under the firm name of Fallass & Gleason. The partnership thus formed continued three years, and for about seven years Mr. Fallass and Elvin Swarthout constituted one of the leading law firms of Grand Rapids. For several years past Mr. Fallass has been alone in the practice, and he is now one of the leading lawyers of the Kent county bar. His name appears in connection with many of the most important cases ever adjudicated in the courts of this city, and not infrequently has he been retained as counsel in equally important litigation elsewhere. Mr. Fallass is a close student, and through a long and successful practice has become thoroughly familiar with the underlying principles of his profession. He prepares his cases with the utmost skill and precision, and his dignified presence and earnestness of manner indicate his thorough familiarity with the contested points. He is logical in argument, clear in his reasoning, forceful in delivery, and his opinions always carry weight and seldom fail to convince.
On the 12th day of September, 1876, Mr. Fallass entered into the marriage relation with Miss Mary J. Brown, who was born in the town of Parma, Jackson county, Mich., June 27, 1851. She is the daughter of William G. and Lucinda (Landon) Brown, and has borne her husband one child, a daughter, Florence P.
In addition to his regular practice, Mr. Fallass is largely interested in real estate, his dealings therein having been very successful financially. He owns valuable property in both city and county, including numerous houses, besides business blocks, farms, etc., and a beautiful home on Ransom street, which is the center of a cultivated circle. He exercises the right of franchise in support of the principles of the republican party, and socially is connected with the Hesperus club of Grand Rapids. For three years he served as a member of the city school board; and the cause of education has always been to him a matter of great concern. The religious belief of Mr. Fallass is embodied in the Congregational church, which they are both identified.
Among the jurists who have gained distinction at the Kent county bar is the gentleman whose name appears at the beginning of this article. He has long been considered one of the leading men of the legal profession in western Michigan, a man of scholarly tastes and profound learning, a political economist of more than local reputation, and withal a gentleman signally free from ostentation, highly esteemed by all who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
– Biographical Sketches, A. W. Bowen’s 1900, History of Grand Rapids and Kent County
He became one of the first members of the Bar Association organized Feb. 7, 1878 in Kent County. The Bar of Kent County, as reported in 1881, included Henry B. Fallass among area attorneys and counselors at law. Elected in 1869, he served as a County Superintendent Common Schools. In 1870, he served as a County Superintendent of Schools. He was a Republican
Elected in 1848 as a Township Representative. His position was “free soil”. Dr. Silas Fallass in 1837. Purchased land in Section 13 of Vergennes Township on Aug. 8, 1839. He was a township clerk in 1847. From 1838-1848, he was a Justice of the Peace. Fallass, Silas S. – of Fallassburg, Kent County , Mich.; Cadillac, Wexford County , Mich. Democrat. Member of Michigan state house of representatives from Kent County 2nd District, 1859-62;circuit judge in Michigan 28th Circuit, 1882-87; appointed 1882; candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 9th District, 1884.
1884: Silas S. Fallass (Dem), defeated.Prof. W. A. Fallas, of the Cedar Springs Public Schools, is the son of Doctor Silas S. and Minerva Fallas. He was born at Fallasburg, Kent Co., Oct. 22,1842; was brought up on a farm, and received the elements of his education in the common schools. He studied medicine and graduated from the medical department of the University of Michigan. After practicing his profession for a short time, he returned to the more congenial occupation of school-teaching, which he has followed ever since. He was two years in charge of the schools at Cadillac, Mich., four years at Chesaning, Mich., and since September, 1880, at Cedar Springs, Mich. where he is Principal. He was married Oct. 20,1867, to Miss Flora Gifford, daughter of Horace Gifford, of Jackson county. He has had no children. Mr. Fallas is a Methodist in his religious views and in politics a Republican. [History of Kent County, 1891]
Birth: Feb. 18, 1861, Fallassburg
Death: 1939, Wayland, Allegan Co., MI
d/o William Fallas & wife Elizabeth Burgess
Travelled extensively. She was one of three who earned a Ph.D degree from DePauw (1888). She then taught history and mathematics in the preparatory department from 1888 to 1891. She became the wife of President Lemuel H. Murlin (1925-1928) and left a bequest to endow the President’s office. View her photo and more info.
1870 United States Federal Census
Name: Ermina M Fallass
Birth Year: abt 1861
Home in 1870: Keene, Ionia, Michigan
Post Office: Keene
Wilbur H Moon, age 31
Satira R Moon, age 30
Myrta A Moon, age 4
Frank A Moon, age 3
Cora H Moon, age 1
Ella E Fallass, age 12
Ermina M Fallass, age 9
Edwin Fallas – Grand Rapids City, 5th ward.
1875 Fallass Henry Brown
1872 Fallass Silas Stone
1862-1863: Fallass, Satyra R.
1872-1873: Fallas, Charles W.
1881-1882: Fallass, Ermina M.
Fallas, Edwin 22, Keen, Ionia Co., and Phebe Kline 21, Vergennes. 17 Feb., 1867, by C.R. Crosby, Min., Fallasburg. Ada Kline, and Melissa Kline, Vergennes, witnesses.Fallas, John E. 31, Keene, Ionia, b. Dryden, Tompkins Co., N.Y. occ. Farmer, and Doria Johnson 20, cedar Springs, b. Otisco, Ionia Co., 16 Dec., 1868, at Cedar Springs, by Jas. H. Tanner, J.P. Dervell C. Johnson, Cedar Springs, and Carrie S. John son, same place, witnesses.
Fallas, John E. 30 Fallasburg b. N.Y. occ Farmer, and Frank J. Page 25, Vergennes, b. Vergennes. 1 Jan., 1868, at Vergennes, by W.W. Johnson, Min., Mary Yerkes, Vergennes, and Nellie Moon, Keene, witnesses.
Fallass, Dr. Silas S. and Miss Mary A. Richmond (w). 31 May 1865, in the town of Vergennes, by James Carter, Min., Witnesses.
Collectors of Specimens in the Bessey Herbarium: Fallass, C. W.
Consisting Of The Narrative Of The Town, The Trial Of The Soldiers And A Historical Introduction, Containing Unpublished Documents Op John Adams, And Explanatory Notes, by Frederic Kidder.
William Fallass declares, that (after the murder in King street) on the evening of the 5th instant, upon his return home, he had occasion to stop opposite to the lane leading to Green’s barracks, and while he stood there, the soldiers rushed by him with their arms, towards King street, saying : ” This is our time or chance; ” and that he never saw men or dogs so greedy for their prey as those soldiers seemed to be, and the sergeants could hardly keep them in their ranks.
The 1st Calvary of Michigan was organized at Detroit in August, 1861 and left for the seat of war Sept. 29, the same year. During the first year of its service, ending at Bull Run Aug. 30, 1862, the command lost 30 men on the field, 170 prisoners, and 60 who died of disease. From Winchester, Va., March 23, 1862, to its garrison of Camp Douglas and Fort Bridger, Utah Territory, March 10, 1866, its long term of service was characterized by gallant conduct. It was consolidated with the 6th and 7th Mich. Cav. Regts., as the First Regt. Mich. Vet. Cav., Nov. 10, 1865. Edwin Fallas was discharged with his fellow Calvary members.