Fallasburg School – Fallasburg Historical Village, Lowell
Constructed in 1867, the one-room schoolhouse is a gable-front building of frame construction covered with clapboard siding. The simple facade contains two entrances with transom windows above to allow light into the cloakrooms. A belfry, with louvered square-head opening in each face and a pyramid roof, is situated on the peak of the roof over the front entrances. The standing seam metal roof has overhanging eaves and simple raking cornices. Four, six-over-six windows are located on both sides of the school. The schoolroom interior is finished with boarded walls and ceilings. The fieldstone foundation was extended in front of the building to form a raised platform. A small rear coal and woodshed addition was made to the rear of the school after the turn of the century. The foundation of this addition is of poured concrete and the ceiling was constructed of recycled wood.
In 1840, John Wesley Fallas settled the village named for him when he constructed a grist mill on the Flat River. In the spring of 1867, Fallas Donated land for the construction of a village schoolhouse. The 1870 “History and Directory of Kent County” confirmed the school’s completion in the summer of 1867.
The school building remained in use as a day school, church, Sunday school, and revival center until 1979. Since 1981, it has been converted for museum use to house local Lowell area artifacts. The Fallasburg School has historical significance as one of the oldest schoolhouse buildings in the Lowell area.
School House Museum – open Sundays 2:00-4:00p with free admission